Buyer, Ladieswear (1 Yr. Maternity Leave)
Tuesday, September 29, 2015
Head Office, Toronto
This position actively contributes to the success of the organization through merchandise selection, assortment planning, the implementation of marketing plans and the evaluation of results in order to ensure that all product and planned profit goals are achieved through the conscientious application of Sporting Life standards to achieve our mission statement: To be a retailer with Passion, Knowledge, Integrity committed to a relentless desire to improve our performance in creating the highest quality shopping experience for all Customers and Staff.
- This position is responsible for achieving sales goals by ensuring that all stores have an appropriate selection of merchandise in sufficient quantities.
- Promotes the Sporting Life House Philosophy consistently in all aspects of the business
- Prepares and administers assortment plans of selection, of timing of deliveries, of promotional product based on projected sales volumes, sales history and individual store needs including needs due to season, weather, special events and sales etc.
- Analyzes sales, plans and budgets to purchase product offerings for each season to maximize profit margin
- Communicates with vendors to view product, write orders, reorder basics as necessary, negotiate terms and discounts and follow up on and solve issues with shipping, accounting, faulty merchandise etc.
- Writes P.O.’s, ensures input into internal merchandising system, checks P.O.’s prior to sending to vendor
- Prioritizes and ensures proper distribution, correct pricing, expert merchandising, and correct marketing strategies for all sku’s
- Communicates and visits with stores on a regular basis and cultivates a two way flow of information regarding product information, customer needs, follow up to “hot and cold” sheets, inventories, etc.
- Strategize with marketing and merchandising to maximize sales and promotions including assistance with ad listings, co-op ads etc.
- Actively participates with training every season through photo books, product knowledge sessions regarding merchandise, key trends, influences and reasons for selection, etc.
- Maintains maximum gross margin dollars by successfully understanding mark-up margin concept, controlling markdowns, etc.
- Control of payment terms/ delivery dates/etc.
- Demonstrates superior win-win negotiation techniques
- Prepares various reports as required
- Performs other related duties as required
- 5+ years of progressive retail fashion buying experience
- Womens athletic, casual and swimwear buying experience preferred
- Equivalent of post-secondary degree or diploma in a business related discipline
- Excellent communication skills; able to communicate effectively at all levels; with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to short-term and long-range plan
- Understanding the impact of competitive and economic trends
- Thinking of creative ideas and innovative actions: seeing fresh, resourceful solutions
- Taking the initiative as opportunities arise, willing to take risks
- Demonstrated competence with PC software programs (Excel, Word, etc.)
If you don't see a current opportunity with us that suits your background, we invite
you to click here
to submit your cover letter and resume for future consideration.